Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Song of Songs: A woman in love - Translation & commentary by Benjamin J. Segal

When I was in college in the early 70’s, I attended the regular Sunday services and youth activities in a Presbyterian church in Taiwan, where the culture was very conservative then, romantic love between man and woman was seldom openly discussed. My pastor focused on the Christian’s devotion to God when he mentioned the “The Song of Solomon”, he sort of avoiding the implied relationship between a man and a woman.

Rabbi Benjamin Segal translated and commented the “The Song of Songs” in a way that I had never thought of then. The title “The Song of Songs: A Woman in Love” clearly speaks that “The Song of Songs” is the book in Bible that celebrates the unconditional romantic love, it’s not just a book that emphases divine love to God. I found Rabbi Segal’s interpretations very interesting and liberating.

No comments:

Post a Comment