Saturday, December 26, 2009

2009 in review

2009 is about to end in a few days, it's quite an eventful year with turns and twists that keeps me extremely busy, it's also the year that marks my 30 years living in the United States.

First of all, thanks God my mother is still vibrant at the advanced age of 85. She even learned how to sit in front of computer, look into the webcam, speak into the microphone while taking my calls on Skype.

2009 is the year that brings many happy events to my extended families. Niece Michelle was blessed with a bouncing baby boy in April, nephew Barry got married to his beautiful bride Lin-wei in June when I traveled to Taiwan for, nephew Benson's wife, Ching-yen, is expecting, and niece Ya-ching was accepted into the 4-year BS program in the Department of Nursing at Chang Gung Institute of Technology.

2009 is also the years that brings devastating event to my extended families. When the deadly typhoon Morakot hit Taiwan, with it one of my younger brothers sustained a total loss of his fish farm, thus his way of living. With the support of my siblings, he will rebuild. I had a painful discovery of how blood relations can be in such a discord that I had to lobby so hard to gain the support for him.

However, the Fall of 2009 also brought two of my brothers to California. I had great time with them while they were here.

As for me personally, 2009 marks the 30th year that I have lived in the United States. When I arrived here on August 15th, 1979 as a graduate student, little did I know that I would make it here.

At work, I had the busiest year in my career as I had to step in for a consultant who was out of the country for two months when his mother was dying. I practically worked seven days a week in that period. Since I am given more responsibility at work, I don't see it will ease up anytime soon. 2010 will be a very busy year as well.

On my literary program, I finished reading five novels by Edith Wharton (1862-1937) and four novels by E. M. Forster (1879-1970). This concluded my reading of six authors out of twenty-eight in the Library of Essential Writers Series published by Barns & Noble.

In 2009, I still make it a priority to exercise five times a week with a well balanced exercise program, and I also pay more attention on nutrition. As a result, I can't be happier when my doctor gave me a clean bill of health and my weight stays the same as last year.

Last but not least worth mentioning was my visit to Taipei Hoping Church in June, where I had the chance to reconnect with some college friends and meet some new friends. I pray to God that these friendships will last.

1 comment:

  1. 玉燕姊:平安!
    2009是充滿挑戰與恩典的一年,令堂85歲會和妳用skype面對面交談,尤其令我感動。
    祝福妳2010心想事成,福杯滿溢!
    文雅

    ReplyDelete