Sunday, May 9, 2010

Anthropology of an American Girl: A Novel by Hilary Thayer Hamann

Born and grew up in a very conservative country until after college when I came over for graduate school, I was curious to learn about how American girls grew up in the relatively conservative decades. Will this novel represent the rite of passages of American girls from girlhood to womanhood in the 70's? I am not sure that it does since I didn't grew up here. It would be a hard way for girls to grow up if this novel does represent the culture. I felt sorry for the heroine, Evie.

This novel is long, from Evie's first love in high school, the turns and twists of her relationships, her financial struggles while in college, and her realization of her place at the end. I wouldn't say this is a classic, only time will tell. However, it's a novel worth reading if one has the patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment