Sunday, February 21, 2010

In the Grip of Bereavement, by Dr. Chaim Licht

When it comes to deal with the loss of loved one, everyone grieves differently and every culture has its own unique custom as to the proper way of mourning.

Dr. Licht's daughter didn't live to see her thirtieth birthday. In his grief, he turned to Jewish literature of the Aggada to explore the responses of the sages to similar situation. In this three-part book, he meticulously analyzed the ten aggadic stories on death and bereavement from Jewish perspective.

Initially, this book didn't hold my interest as I have had very little exposure of ancient Jewish history and literature. It took me awhile to finish reading it and I am glad that I did. I feel that I just took an ancient Jewish literature course.

While this book may not be for me and I am neutral about it, however, I believe that for Jews or those with deep knowledge of ancient Jewish history and literature, this book would be a nice addition to their book collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment